4Pane is a highly customizable Linux file-manager. It has dual twin-panes, each of which has a directory tree-view pane and a detailed-list pane for files. Advanced features include undo/redo, archive management, multiple rename and user-defined tools
This file browser is usefull to avoid get lost among the huge amount of files in the root directory. Its interface is divided into four parts, to facilitate navigation and to be able to move files from one folder to another quickly, remembering Midnight Commander but in graphic version.
Its functions as a file manager include others, such as links to Firefox, Openoffice and text editor, disk assembly, partitions and ISOs, extraction of compressed files and even a list of the most commonly opened folders and access to the terminal.
- Initial layout of 4 panels in detailed view mode with vertical or horizontal presentation, with the possibility of reducing them to only 2.
- Support of tabs with the possibility of saving the layout in templates.
- Bookmark support.
- Undo / Redo support in many of the operations performed since the program (including deletion of files and directories).
- Management of compressed files and in tar format, with virtual visualization included of these.
- Configurable internal and external terminal emulator.
- Graphical user interface for text and file search commands: locate, find and grep
- Advanced management of partitions, fixed and removable devices and ISO images, including support for Samba and NFS.
- Trash support
- Support for user-defined commands (external programs to be launched from 4Pane)
- Mass file renaming and duplication.
- Advanced program configuration with a lot of customization options.
Download the .deb file
These are the first windows before launch the file manager:
This is the on-line manual http://www.4pane.co.uk/manual/Contents.htm
This is the main screen:
This is the horizontal panels view:
This is a window with a command line:
You may add your favorites folders to bookmarks, then you may access these folders in the “bookmarks” menu.
I found the fonts too small, to change it select the menu ” Options/Configure 4pane/The display/ Tree font/ Selected tree font / Change”.
There are some missing items in 4pane that we have on Thunar or similar applications:
- Mounted devices,
- A Menu to “Open files” with different applications (you should set it up manually , each file-type).
What is your favorite file manager?